Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Red Box Gives Me New Life

You know I should be paid for this, really. I recently noticed a large red vending machine outside my local Albertson's. It had lots of pretty pictures all over it and a touch screen monitor in the middle of it. I began pushing buttons and little images appeared and I was delighted. I selected one slid my card through and out popped a dvd. I paid a buck and was able to view it. The next day I returned it but if I hadn't it would have been another buck. I did all this in full view of a Blockbusters store. It was glorious, it was new, and it was inventive. The company calls themselves Red Box and you can see more at REDBOX.COM

The first movie I saw was "Thank You For Smoking" which was such a wonderful guilty pleasure I almost ran out to find a job defending big tobacco. It cost me a dollar. The second movie was "Stomp the Yard", a urban drama about an inner city youth redefining himself in college with the help of a fraternity, a girl and a step team. It was a little silly but it was still enjoyable and it also only cost a dollar. Tonight I rented a total stinker of a film, a real dog. "Eragon" a movie that seemed to take as little from the book it gets it's title and character names from as possible. It was awful but that horrendous viewing torture session cost me a dollar. Not 4 dollars like the video store. I love Red Box and I hope it continues to operate. A thing to note is that Red Box seems to only have the latest movies. You won't find the original Night of the Living Dead here nor will you find Nosferatu, they are just too old!

Some of you may be thinking but don't you have Netflix Mike? Well yeah I do but it seems every weekend I find myself without a movie to view and that means no movie until Tuesday at the earliest. I have been renting from other establishments dropping nearly 8 dollars every weekend when I could have just spent 2 dollars. TWOOOO DOOOLLLAAAARRRS!!! I WANT MY TWOOO DOOOOLLLAAAARRRSSS! (Name that movie)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw one of their machines at my local Jewel (owned by Safeway for you west coasters).

Unknown said...

If you rent from one of the big name places you should check it out. It works really nicely and it does not cost a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! may your day be full of fun and movies.
love
sis

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

New post, new post, new post...

Unknown said...

Actually this one is old. It's from May 22nd...

WAIT! you meant you want a new post.... OK I will get crackin'!