Sunday, July 27, 2008

My busy week...

Well this past week was a whirlwind. It was also a much needed break from all the stresses of school and the last 6 months of that job that laid me off. I am working on pictures of my vacation and hope to have a slide show soon.

Some of you may be wondering what I am referring to. Well I went to San Francisco. My mom and Becky flew me out and we had a marvelous time. They flew me into Oakland and from there I took public transportation to the civic center. They had reserved two rooms at the Inn at the Opera. I am not sure why they call it that. Sure the Opera is nearby but I am positive that is simply a coincidence..... Surely they did not mean the opera when they said that their inn was at the opera. I mean i had a large fat woman sharing my shower and she kept singing and I kept asking "Is it over?" Apparently it was not over and just because the woman singing happens to be rotund has no bearing on whether the proverbial "it" is over. But I digress...

Anyway I flew in Monday morning and met up with them near the BART station. We headed to the hotel so that I could hang up some clothes and get ready to be a tourist. I packed a jacket in my bag and a couple guide books and we were off. We went directly to the Stinking Rose where I ended any dreams of romance with local ladies. We had a fantastic garlic filled pesto to spread on our bread and we did so with much gusto. We ordered the garlic Swiss chard fontina fondue for an appetizer and followed that with the margherita pizzette and the arugula pesto. It was fantastic and very fragrant, as we left we were too. We headed from there down to the wharf.

When we arrived we decided to enjoy the Aquarium of the Bay which is at Pier 39. If you have been to San Francisco you know the pier. It has the carousel, Bubba Gump shrimp company, Hard Rock Cafe and the aquarium. Anyway the Aquarium is not huge but in the tunnels they have a glass tunnel through the water and you can see the fish and sharks swim above you. They also have a petting zoo of sorts, you can touch a ray and a little tiger shark. It was worth the visit for sure. Anyway the temperature dropped by the time we left and my lite jacket was not cutting it. Being a smart individual I had brought two light jackets but being a non-smart person I had left one of them at the hotel. I ended up purchasing a nice $20.00 jacket at pier 39. It is reversible, one side is wind breaking and the other is fuzzy, both sides say San Francisco and the fuzzy side has a stitched cable car on it. It was a great deal in all reality and I ended up sweating in it because it was nice and warm and we were walking up hills.

Our ultimate goal that day was Ghirardelli since Becky and I were craving sweet goodness. Along the way we took a small tour of Boudin's bakery and had a few samples of bread. We also stopped and had a few Irish coffees at the Buena Vista. I ended up getting a shirt from their after sampling the wares. We finally stumbled into Ghirardelli square and dined on fine ice cream sundaes. It was marvelous....

It seems to me that it is a wee late at night and I must continue the tale tomorrow... hopefully with a few pictures from day 1 at least.

No comments: