Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I am rapacious!

Well I obviously never did the RTA awards on Saturday. I got kind of distracted and a wee bit apathetic.... So will they ever happen? Who knows.

Anyway I went for a fantastic little hike in the sunshine Sunday. I also got a haircut, a St. Patrick's Day shirt and a Blazers ball cap. Yeah I watched the game tonight. It was absolutely horrible. That is 5 horrible games in a row. Oh and the Kings are a bunch of cheating scumbags.

Today at work we had a job fair. I thought that was actually pretty cool of them. I almost liked them again but seeing as I am still in the midst of a new job search I am still a little irritated. I am getting over it though and every day gets easier. Ok that's a lie but I am tired of being negative about work. So we will pretend everything is awesome. I really do think it was nice for them to host a job fair. They actually seem to be trying to help us move on.

A funny thing happened at work. I was on the phone and I was explaining to someone how much they owed and she was upset about the monthly installment fee. Here is what happened.
ME: "And then add your installment fee."
HER: "You people are scoundrels!"

(here is a tip if you are on the phone with someone and you are mad about something just start throwing around "You people..." I promise they will love it!)
ME: "What was that? Ma'am a lot of companies charge the installment fees on monthly billing plans."
HER: "NO! I pay a lot of bills through my bill pay and __________ insurance is the only one who has a fee!"
ME: "OK...."
HER: "You and your company are absolutely rapacious!"
ME: "Wow! Great word!"
HER: "I will be shopping around because the fees are absolutely ridiculous! Sure I have an accident and then you double my insurance price! In 2 years you will get all that money back in my premiums. What is the point of insurance if you just pay it back in 2 years!"
ME: "Well.." she disconnects the call


There of course were hundreds of responses to her last question. Such as "you have to have it by law" or "did you have all that money two years ago?" or "Well it could have been a more serious accident that could have financially devastated you for life." I never got to try any of them because she hung up but I had succeeded in being called rapacious first! But what does rapacious mean really?
Dictionary.com says:
ra·pa·cious /rəˈpeɪʃəs/ [ruh-pey-shuhs]
–adjective
1. given to seizing for plunder or the satisfaction of greed.
2. inordinately greedy; predatory; extortionate: a rapacious disposition.
3. (of animals) subsisting by the capture of living prey; predacious.


I decided I would take her use of the word to mean the third option.... I subsist by the capture of live prey! Even if she meant the first or second option I get to choose what she meant so the third option it is. Hahahaha. I am rapacious!

No comments: