Thursday, January 24, 2008

You're Precocious!

I was looking around at what other reviewers were saying about the movies I reviewed recently. I noticed a disturbing trend when it came to the movie Juno. Everyone felt it necessary to use the word precocious. I hate that word. It is used whenever any show has teenagers or kids who are actually intelligent. I don't know about you but I know several teenagers who are more intelligent then quite a few adults. So why does it seem shocking that when people make a movie showing young adults in interesting situations that they react reasonably and intelligently? Precocious is a word that makes you sound like an ageist and a pompous ass. Stop using that word, it is dumb. Teenagers are not stupid. They are usually impulsive and don't always think things through but so are a lot of 30 year olds. Hell I know a lot of impulsive 50 year olds. It is part of human nature to occasionally say or do stupid things. It is also part of human nature to occasionally do the right thing and make the right decision, regardless of age. In fact I think kids tend to see answers adults over look. I have decided I will no longer read reviewers that write the word precocious. It is my petty little boycott of a stupid word. Say it out loud and then try to tell me it didn't just make you sound like a snobby sanctimonious (that word is nearly as bad as precocious except that it is very fun to say) jerk. In fact, saying the word precocious out loud probably made you feel like a retard. The person next to you is thinking "Wow, who uses the word Precocious? What a pompous ass!"

In case you are not familiar with the word Dictionary.com defines it as: unusually advanced or mature in development, esp. mental development: a precocious child.

No comments: